Monday, September 29, 2008

Defacing Dimes.

On Thursday night, September 25th, Cameron was a little bored before bed and decided to drop 6 coins in his mouth! He immediately sat up and started choking. I stuck my fingers down his throat and managed to grab a nickel that was making him choke. He sobbed and sobbed and told me that one went all the way down. After counting the coins, I realized that he indeed swallowed a dime. I wasn't too concerned, since he was breathing at that point! And he wasn't complaining about anything stuck in his throat. He was only upset about the fact it was "daddy's money" and "he's gonna be so mad at me!".

My little brother swallowed a dime when he was little, and he was just fine. So I knew I didn't need to rush Cameron to the hospital or anything. So I just googled my brains out looking for anything about what happens when kids swallow dimes. Most of what I read indicated that I was right on my instinct to just let it take it's course, but there were others that kind of worried me...like "If your kid swallowed something that he shouldn't have, take him to the ER and then drive to Child Protective services and report yourself!" WOW! That would have put a damper on my weekend!!! I decided I'd stay home and just keep an eye on my boy while he slept that night.

I knew right away that no matter how fine things were, I needed to make sure I found that dime. I didn't want it to get stuck anywhere or cause any sort of blockage in the future.

So...the search began.

I'll spare you those details.

After 4 days, I finally located the dime!!! It was such a gross, tedious and slow process digging through CRAP all week. So when I finally found it, I jumped for JOY! Steve came in the bathroom when I started cheering. He immediately thought it was a penny. But it wasn't...it just changed crazy colors while swimming through Cam's digestive tract.

I cleaned it really well and showed it to Cameron! Pretty amazing how all those Fruit Loops in a little boys body can completely change the color characteristics of a coin!




Check out the color difference in a pre and post digestive tract dime! It turned purplish, bluish green!


So many great lessons learned through this little accident!

4 comments:

Maybe I'm Amazed said...

I'm glad I waited until after dinner to read this post, and I'm glad everything came out o.k.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh Lauren!!! I am glad you found it.. what we put up with as mothers.. I tell ya!! :)

hula4jesus said...

Lauren - it's all that hydrocholoric acid in the digestive tract that helps break down the food products that oxidized the dime. What a good mommy you are faithfully CSI'ing through Cameron's tuc-kee (filipino for "poop"). Praise God that it didn't get caught up and create any blockage, because that would have been quite painful and coul've resulted in more serious problems. Not too mention, emotional trauma on all of you!

Cameron buddy, you look so proud to display your special dime!

Christian said...

Ummmm....hahaha, I'm not sure if I should laugh my butt off or gag, so I've decided to do both...hahaha