Monday, July 7, 2008

Fireworks

On Saturday night, the kids and I sat in the house and watched and incredible thunderstorm. Cameron called it "God's fireworks". All other fireworks shows were canceled in our area due to rain, so I was happy that Cameron was technically seeing the fireworks he'd been waiting all weekend for!

The lightening was very close to us. I knew this because usually there is no sound when lightening strikes. Only when the thunder rolls, a few seconds later. Well...we could hear big bangs with the lightening strikes. Like explosions. They almost sounded like something was crashing into a metal shed. Our power flickered a few times, and we heard sirens. Lots of them. A couple firetrucks came into our complex, and I noticed they were driving all the way back to where our development meets a country club golf course. Because I love the excitement of, well... anything exciting, I grabbed Cameron, and my umbrella and we decided to go for a walk to ask the firemen questions! We got about four feet from my front door when I saw another flash of lightening and realized I was holding an umbrella, and my child, and decided that I was a dork and was glad no one saw me with my umbrella outside. (At least, I hope they didn't!)

The storm went on into the middle of the night. Today on the news I heard the story of a house in Brier Creek (our community) that was struck by lightening during the storm in the early hours of Sunday morning. The house was just a mile away from mine, right near the country club. I don't think I've ever been so close to lightening. I'm glad my house didn't get struck! And I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Here's one of the houses struck:


Here's the article: House Struck By Lightening in Brier Creek
CRAZINESS! Now I'm glued to the weather channel!!

1 comment:

hula4jesus said...

Lauren - as I was reading your blog and you were talking about taking a walk with Cameron and your umbrella . . . I'm thinking, "Oh NO, she di-n't!!" Praise the Lord He sent a reminder in a flash of lightening at that very moment not to do STOP you dead in your track!! You are so crazy, woman!