Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Dad and Me



Since it's father's day and since my dad is a faithful favorite to The Other Cause, I dedicated my portion of cyberspace to celebrate him today.

I love my dad! In so many ways, I'm just like him! I got a little bit of his sarcastic humor, and a good dose of his dorkiness (Lindsay would agree with that). But, besides those things, my dad has given me so many awesome memories that I like to remember often. Most of those memories have to do with softball games and tournaments. Some are culdesac parties and neighborhood holiday gatherings. Trips to Yosemite and to our cabin in the desert. I could go on. As I reflect on past great memories with my dad, I've realized one of my GREATEST passions in life is something my dad instilled in me.

My constant desire to be with and around people, living immersed in community is because that's really the only way I've ever done life! I can't remember one vacation we ever took without people with us (besides our trip to Europe, which was a gift). Whether it was a neighborhood party or a family trip somewhere far away, we always had people with us. Before blue-tooth and wireless cell phones, my dad had a CB radio. It was a two way radio thing with a HUGE antenna we'd strap on to the top of our Bronco. We'd use it on road trips and stay in constant dialogue with whoever we were vacationing with. So fun! After softball games, my parents would invite everyone over to our house to just hang out! Our family always held holiday parties for everyone we knew, and me, my sister and brother would have friends over constantly. I don't think my parents EVER got tired of community. My dad's way of getting his mind off of work and just chilling out is hanging with people he loves. Maybe that's just an extrovert thing, but whatever it is, I have it too.

I love people, so much... and I credit that part of my being to my dad. He's taught me so much about celebrating others more than myself. It's no wonder to me why he picked "Shower the People" by James Taylor for our father daughter dance on my wedding day. And it's no wonder why he started his speech that day by talking about how incredibly moving it was to have all the people we love so dearly all gathered under one roof. That was powerful to him. It was powerful for me.

Thanks, dad, for making other's first in our family. I'm living the life you taught me to live, and I couldn't be more proud, thankful or happy about my passion for people.

I love you, happy father's day, to the most selfless person I know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks homey.....I forgot it was Fathers Day.....Imagine that!

I love you all

D.

Lindsay Jo said...

Remember the scavenger hunts dad would always make, and the one in Yosemite when the treasure at the end was that awesome RC cars?

Or how about when he would pick you up from softball, and then me up from gymnastics... and we knew when we saw the blanket in the back set that it meant he was surprising us and taking us to a Padres game (at jack murphy stadium) or to the races at cajon speedway. haha, and remember that time when he was paying at cajon speedway and he told them I was 12, and then I corrected him by yelling, "Dad! I'm 13!!!!" and then you showed me that sign that said "12 and under free" and I could tell dad was embarrassed. haha.

I love you too Dad!!!!!!