Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Deeper.

This morning I woke up thinking about deep friendships I miss in San Diego. Although I love the people we're doing life with here, I have yet to find friends I can be around and feel safe letting my guard down. (I can name certain SD friends who are probably cheering at this fact, thinking I should come home now!) Not the case! I miss you though, and I'd love to see you!

More than anything, I'm realizing the similarities between my deep friendships and my worn out softball glove. I like asking my teammates to try my glove on, because no one, NO ONE can fit it on their hand! It's pretty funny. I've had my glove since the mid 1990's, the leather inside is pretty much shredded. But...my glove fits ME perfect. In fact, it fits BETTER every time I put it on! It has taken me years and years and years to break in my softball glove to give it the perfect crease for my hand. Do I even need to explain this analogy?

I wish it didn't have to take years and years to cultivate a deep friendship, but truth is, it's going to take longer than I want it to. REALLY?! Ugh. You mean, my husband needs to suffice as my ONLY closest friend right now?! BORING! Don't get me wrong. My friendship, my marriage-ship (new word) with my hubby is my refuge! Especially now! But I miss my HIZZIES! The ones who know the hidden meaning behind the dumb things I say. The ones I can hug, and without saying a word, they can KNOW in that moment how much I care about them! The ones who I've known forever, and who know me as the same person they love me for, no matter how much I change. Did that make sense?

It wouldn't make sense or be fair to place expectations on the friendships I'm cultivating right now. I knew from the beginning exactly what I wanted my glove to feel like when I caught a ball, but it took lots of time and shaping to get it that way!

Maybe this is why my initial realization of who God is was so powerful, emotional and earth shattering for me. In ONE moment, God was everything I could desire out of a deep friendship. Actually, God was the model of what a deep friendship had the potential to be. The relationship between friends that would normally take years and years to shape, took one split moment with God.

Or maybe I'm getting this whole thing wrong. Maybe I'm waiting for a friend to meet the desires of my heart that only God wants to fulfill. Maybe God moved me all away across the country to cut me off from those friendships I've been feeding off of so that HE could have my full attention and bless me with a deeper friendship in Him. Maybe even one that's closer than a brother. Wow! That sounds like something I could look into!

I think I'll always long for depth in my friendships. And, I'm ok with that! But for now, while I'm aching for deeper friends, I'm going to ask God to fill that throb in my soul with His intended love for me, that I've possibly put in second place. Ouch...try admitting that one!

Here are some of the friends I miss, and some words worth listening to in my short moment of clarity.

13 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Love,
You are making me cry. Miss you. Miss singing with you too.

Sarah said...

Hey girl.. I longed for that too when we moved away, and God knows your every desire. :) I will pray with you that He will bring a great friendship your way.

And, I miss ya bunches!!

Christian said...

I don't know....I think everyone is placed exactly where they were for a reason. I've met my BEST friends since moving to NC in 2001 and I'm beginning to think I'm going to be adding one more to that list. Perhaps you were sent here to be my refuge. One that I can talk to about both my crazy every day life AND my spiritual one.............

Kara said...

It's about time for this post:)

Anonymous said...

We love ya and know that some lucky soul in NC will get to be that exact person! And whoever that is better know that they got the best end of the deal! You rock! Keep it up!
Luv ya!

TK said...

I love Kara's comment. I relate to that because although we are so happy and proud that you and Steve stepped out in faith and now are living the journey where he has called you I also appreciate your realness with us on each step of this process.

Check out Rods blog and read the email someone sent him. Faith is messy like that, just because we take the risk does not mean it will always be easy or we will get everything we want (or even the main thing we stepped out in faith for)

Your feelings seem pretty normal to me after the big move you made, I'm sorry you have to experience the sadness but God can use this too for good, maybe being that he will reveal himself to you during this time in a way that you cannot even imagine.

Love you Lauren and miss you too.

Becky said...

I don't know about it being "about time" for this post. I know you miss your family & friends. I have been so happy that you and Steve and the boys are doing SO Well in NC. Thanks for sharing and please don't stop because people feel the need to evaluate what you say and perhaps be critical? Love you, Lovie.

Lauren Faiai said...

Thanks friends, for your encouragement and concern! We are doing really well and are so glad God has has us here with an AMAZING team and in incredible community. Although, there is sadness in missing friends and family in SD, that sadness is more often superseded by the joy in God's incredible blessing that we're experiencing as a result of following His will! He is SO FAITHFUL! I love and miss you all!

TK said...

B- I don't think I was being critical in my comments. I have expressed a few times on this blog how I too am glad that they are embracing this journey and doing so well- obviously a God thing since this is where God has called them to be. I just basically said I appreciate Lauren sharing the ups and the DOWNS because we all can relate. Anyways didn't mean to come across as evaluating but since i did I will be more careful next time. You never know whats ok with this comment thing. L- sorry if I offended you and I think you misunderstood me but thanks again for sharing where you were at and hope my comments don't keep you from doing so in the future

Becky said...

To the blogging world, and Tara. Yes, you are right, comments do get misunderstood. Our words do get taken out of context when people can only read them and not see the body language associated with them or the intent in expression. This is the unfortunate thing about the written word. Let's all think the best about one another, I think that would also help out in a lot of these "what did you mean by that" cases. Myself included. Thanks blog world for listening :)

Kara said...

Gee I was just joking! I was just glad she misses me as much as I miss her!

Although now I bet she is really glad she is NC away from our drama:)

Again a joke!

Anonymous said...

Homey, i kinda ache too about missing you and all the friends we came to know and love....however I feel TK has it right. After experiencing the whole Raleigh thing....CAT, NC state, Lee, Carla, the direction, you and Steve were chosen for this opportunity by our GOD. Just keep moving forward. I am so proud to know I raised a daughter that cares so much for her friends, her family and our GOD.

P.S Could you tell your old softball friend we love, Steph Str. to stop by some time to visit us?

We love you all.....stay in touch with our daughter.... forever!

Dad

Lindsay Jo said...

it's your stride Lauren. (inside joke)