Monday, October 8, 2007

What About Tomorrow?

Well, needless to say, my 3 year old boy is getting to be quite the chatter box. Whenever Cameron begins a sentence, I always anticipate what he's going to say. Usually it's something about his grandma, or his friend, Garrett's toys, or about how EXTREMELY hungry he is (don't feel bad for him, he eats all day long).

Anyway... in the past 3 or 4 weeks Cameron has introduced us to a constant concern he has. Whenever we go ANYWHERE or even just TELL him we're going somewhere, Cameron really wants to know what we're doing "next".

example:
ME: Cameron...Aren't you so excited that we're going to Oktoberfest?!?!
CAMERON: Yes mom, but after Oktoberfest where are we going?!

I'm serious...this happens EVERY TIME I take the boy ANYWHERE!

I usually tell him where we're going (which is usually home) but no matter where that place is, he starts crying. Balling. REALLY UPSET. I usually figure out a way to change the subject to make him stop crying. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed that Cameron's craving for "what's next" has really been putting a damper on "what's now".

We went to Chuck-E-Cheese a few weeks ago and he spent almost the entire time upset after he asked me where we were going "after".

This behavior has started bothering me so badly that whenever he asks, I grab Cameron's face, tell him to look at me, and then I tell him that he won't have a happy day today if he's too busy worrying about what's going to happen next.

Today, as I was listening to the message at church, it wasn't until the 3rd time I heard it that God spoke to me directly! I, myself...the mom...CAMERON'S MOM, spend sooo much time worrying about tomorrow that I don't know if I'll ever be happy about today. Ed read a quote from Blaise Pascal and he mentioned that if we spend sooo much time worrying about our future and dreaming of "better days" then we'll be too busy looking and dreaming for those times, that we'll miss them completely. They might as well not exist!

Holy COW! Is that true or WHAT?!! For me it is. Live for NOW!! "NOW" is staring us in the face with SOOO much potential!

So, I really can't wait to share my learnings with my son! Or...just maybe... Cameron has known this concept all along, and God just used him to open Mommy's eyes today!! Wouldn't be the first time!

Here's a sweet video I found at my parents house of him singing in their front yard about 4 months ago.

4 comments:

TK said...

Lauren- Great post. The video....AMAZING!! Definitely something you will have to keep forever and ever. I know nothing about music but he sounded like he has some serious potential. Nothing better for your heart than a 3 year old singing praise to God.

Becky said...

That happens to me all the time. Hailey is my "what's next" girl, she gets it from me. Precious video. Keep it forever.

Sarah said...

Ummm.. that totally made my eyes tear up and my heart melt into a puddle. I just love him so much!!

How is is hair doing?? :)

And... he has got some good pitch!!

Sarah said...

The video from the song made me cry... not his fascination with what's next.. but boy that is a good lesson, huh!! :)