Thursday, July 12, 2007

The GREATEST Reunion EVER!

Well...it seems as though this month, for me, should be named as the "month of reconnecting".

Ever since I started in our Co-Ed Softball League a few months ago, I've been almost FORCED to reminisce about and rekindle a LOVED time in my life, that was my much missed Softball travel team.

This group of about 14 girls was more than community to me. Even the word "family" seems too trite to describe the deep impact our relationship would have on the rest of our lives.

The "Da Bomb" travel ball team derived out of a young East County All Star team. We were all ten or eleven when we started playing together, and we continued to play and travel around the country until we were out of high school.

Our team was very competitive and our "no nonsense" coaches rarely let us go a day without practicing. After practices and games, we'd inevitably end up at one of our houses to sleep over (usually Jeannines), and we'd basically stay up ALL night toilet papering eachothers houses, Making cooking videos, dance videos, and even sorting fruit loops out to designate each color to a different container!

It's been about 7 years since we've been together, and a handful of us make an effort to keep in touch. My friend Stephanie is one of those who really understands how important we are to each other. I would have fallen off the face of this planet by now if Steph didn't keep me connected through the years.

After Steph and I talked a week ago, I thought it would be really cool to coordinate a bonfire for all of us girls who haven't seen each other in so long. So we looked through old rosters and made phone calls. We decided that this first reunion on Wednesday, July 11th would be just for us girls. No kids or hubbies for this one!

All week I had been anticipating our time together, and was trying to think of questions I wanted to ask all of the girls. As each girl arrived...I threw my prepared questions out the window and experienced something really cool. It was like time rewound and we had NEVER lost touch. Like we saw each other just the day before Each of our lives have changed in crazy ways as we've grown up, but I was overwhelmed by the sense of how much I ABSOLUTELY KNEW...KNOW each one of these girls completely...no matter how much their surroundings have changed. I almost didn't want to "catch up". I just felt like we could have began right where we left off!! That moment...that feeling is one I hope I NEVER lose.

We spent most of our time reminiscing and re-telling stories of the past. We started a bonfire AND grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. I was very impressed with myself and my "manly wisdom" that graced our evening!

We arrived at our spot at 6:00PM and left at close to 11PM. We coordinated another reunion and will include families at this next one!

Here are some pictures from one of my favorite nights of the year so far.


Here's me unloading wood. Everyone was completely amazed at my incredible strength.


And here we are! From Left to Right: Erin, Deanna, Jeannine, Nicole, Stephanie, Lauren, Pamella, Roxanne and Jennifer.



Jeannie, Me and Steph



Pamella, Me and Jen






















Rox, Baby #2 and Me
























Nicole "Tino" and Me














Me and Erin "Coyner". And...if you're wondering...the answer is YES. The sunglasses are REAL. Dolce Gabana.





Let's get this party started!!



Dad...is this the way to start the fire with the lighter fluid?




The PERFECT summer night!


Me and Pam - an ENFP for sure!




Smores in process.




In my element...for sure!


I thought I'd throw in a few pictures of us 10 years ago. Good Times.















Girls, if you're reading this, I love you like CRAZY. That about sums up what you already know!! More good times to come!

(Da Bomb Bonfire Reunion - Wednesday, July 11, 2007)

1 comment:

TK said...

Great post Lauren. Looks and sounds like fun. I have a few friends like this who I don't talk to on a regular basis but I know when I do it will be like we talk everyday. I applaud you for making the effort to see them, it's not easy with our busy lives but still important.