Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Riley did it!!

This week Riley finished week 2 of his speech therapy. He's doing a great job and already making lots of progress. This past week, I wanted Cameron to be there for his session so that he could see what we're trying to help his little brother with. Turns out, Cameron is going to be THE biggest help to Riley. Cameron understands Riley better than I do, sometimes, and usually knows exactly what he wants or gets upset about. The good thing about this is, Cameron has a very big vocabulary, and will be able to help Riley as he naturally talks his way through EVERYTHING he does! Cameron's intuitiveness in this way can also be a hindrance to Riley, though. When Cameron knows what Riley wants, he doesn't usually tell Riley what the words are that he should be using, he just naturally gives Riley whatever he's non-verbally asking for. That won't help his speech develop at all!

So, when Ms. Margaret was playing with Riley this week, she'd get Cameron involved by telling him to repeat every word she says as Riley moves around doing certain things. When Riley tried to open the toy box... Ms. Margaret would keep it closed, look at Riley and say "OPEN BOX". Then She'd tell Cameron to say "OPEN BOX", and when he did, she'd open it. Riley started picking up on the idea after a few tries. A lot of his speech issues aren't really speech issues at all, I'm realizing. It's really more about control in those times. When me, or Ms. Margaret, or Krystle would say a word for Riley to repeat, he'd kind of squirm all over the place as if to tell us he didn't want to say it. But...most of the time, as soon as Cameron said a word, Riley would repeat it immediately. When Riley finally gets a word out he gets lots of cheers and hugs, and then on his own he goes around and usually gives us high fives! We also encourage Cameron and tell him that he's doing a VERY good job at helping his brother learn his words!

Needless to say, Cameron has been very proud of himself since that day, and he understands completely that he is his baby brother's helper! So...for the rest of the week, Cameron has been doing a GREAT job at teaching Riley the words of whatever he's doing. And still, when Riley says a word, and Cameron tells me excitedly, Riley knows to RUN over to me with a BIG smile for a high five and a hug!

Today, though, as smart as I know Cameron is...I was reminded that he is still only three years old!! The boys were playing together nicely, and I was watching and listening to Cameron affirm everything Riley said...and did! Here's a few things Riley was praised for by Cameron this morning... (keep in mind, each of these were followed by high fives and hugs!)

1. "YAY RILEY!! MOM, RILEY JUST SAID 'CEREAL'!!!! "

2. "GOOD JOB RILEY!!! MOM, RILEY JUST SAID 'EAT'!!!""

3. "YAY RILEY!! MOM, RILEY JUST BURPED!!!"

4. "GOOD JOB RILEY! MOM, RILEY JUST RAN IN A CIRCLE BY HIMSELF!!"

5. "YES, RILEY!!! MOM! RILEY JUST HICCUPED!"

I don't want to downplay his accomplishments, obviously...but BURPING?! Come on, Cameron!


Very proud of my crazy boys!
Find out more about Riley's Journey with Craniosynostosis HERE.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME! My parents had the same problem with my sister "enabling" me not to talk!
Now you can't shut me up!
Luv ya!

Nita said...

That's fantastic, Lauren! What great news! When all the therapy started for us, I thought for sure I'd need to find a sitter for Gabby but she is very much involved in Raquel's therapy and they've taught her how to play more effectively with her little sister. Isn't it wonderful having such great help within the family? :-)

Lauren Faiai said...

Hi Aunt Nita! Yes! I actually thought about you when I noticed all this was happening. I was sure that you were experiencing the same thing with Gabby! I LOVE how God creates siblings with a unique bond! Completely different than a parent/child bond, but still just as powerful! That's sweet! Keep me updated on the different ways you get Gabby involved. It will help me be more intentional about Cam's interaction with Riley!

hula4jesus said...

Way to go Riley! Cameron - the Lacangan's are so proud of you helping your brother out! He will remember what you're doing for him now for the rest of his life!

Lauren and Steve - praise God that Riley is making huge strides . . . what a blessing to be able to have that therapy available to Riley!

TK said...

I can just picture Cameron saying those things. So cute how proud he is.