Sunday, June 1, 2008

Making Memories!?

It was a warm beautiful evening! A perfect night for me and Krystle to take the kids to Frankies. Steve got a ride with a friend to youth group where he was leading worship. So, me and Krystle packed up the kids and headed out. After about 45 minutes of ticket winning fun, we decided to leave and take the kids to dinner and ice cream. As we approached the automatic sliding doors to leave Frankies, we were quite surprised to see that a huge thunder storm moved in. It was POURING rain, thundering, lightening...the whole deal. We waited a little while for the storm to die down, but it didn't look like the clouds were going anywhere, so I decided to run out into the rain, through the parking lot to get the car. I got to the car, hopped in, turned the key only to find out the battery died. I'm not sure how it died, but it did. The ignition didn't click when I turned the key, the lights didn't turn on when I tried them and the car still didn't start even after I did a little dance in the front seat.

Hmm?! I suddenly went into MACGYVER mode. Yeah, um...that didn't work. I called Steve, but he didn't answer his phone. I knew I could have asked someone for a jump, but all the people who were near us looked like they might jump ME! So, I walked back over to Krystle (she had the boys) and told her the unfortunate news. We decided to walk to the car and sit there until we could get a hold of Steve. Once we finally did, we realized he couldn't really do anything to help until he went to the store to get a battery. I didn't want to sit in the car and wait for him because both boys were getting tired and whiny.

Suddenly, there was a break in the clouds! I looked at Krystle and said "Let's go. We're gonna walk home!" Our house is about a mile away from Frankies, so I knew we could do it! It was just a matter of getting there before it started raining again. So we rolled up our jeans, I carried Riley, Krystle grabbed Cameron's hand, and we were off! We were barely out of the parking lot when it started POURING and LIGHTENING and THUNDERING all around us. Our only place to find cover was under the trees around us. But, because of all the lightening, I didn't think that would have been the smartest idea. So...I took Riley's shirt off (thankfully it was still 85 degrees outside) and put it over his head so that he wouldn't get an ear infection! My flipflops were really slippery, so I decided to take them off. We started walking faster, but there was NO WAY the rain was going to stop in the time it took us to get to the house. I didn't have time to think of a better idea because we were soaking and pretty much stuck...so we walked as fast as we could (Cameron is slow and loves rain puddles). It wasn't too long after that, a small little car pulled up next to us, and a lady driver rolled down her window to ask if we wanted a ride. I thought about my other options and the safety of my boys, and told the lady I didn't have car seats. Then I started telling her our whole story. Before I could finish telling her about Riley's craniosynostosis, she interrupted and said "Girl, just get in the car! It's POURING!" So we got in. The boys were nervous and quiet. I thanked her until we pulled up to the house. We got home safely and dried off the boys.

After we all calmed down,Cameron got a really sad look on his face and tears started rolling. "What's the matter, Cameron?" I asked. He was so upset that it was hard for him to gather the words he was about to say. Finally, he painfully expressed "I just really really miss our car, mom. I loved that car." He was under the impression the whole time that we'd left the car and we'd never see it again. Once I reassured him that daddy would get the car later, he wiped his tears away and felt much better.

Glad to be home, and am thankful for one good Samaritan lady named Frankelsia.
Of course...I made Krystle take a picture before we entered the house!



Definitely a memory making moment!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that really her name? Kind of Ironic you were heading home from Frankies, and you had no one elsi to help you.

Christian said...

Wow! What a day....