Monday, May 12, 2008

My Boys, My Responsibility

I don't know why, but, In the past year or so, I've done a lot of thinking about what kind of young men Cameron and Riley will be when they're in high school. Weird, I know. But every so often, some random moment will trigger these thoughts!

The latest came from a quote from one of my all time favorite blogs.

"When you have a boy, you have to worry about one boy on the planet. When you have a girl, you have to worry about every boy on the planet."

I'd have to agree with this comment, however, I couldn't say that I'm content with my role in this statement if it's true!

Watching my little bro grow up into a teenager and now an adult has given me an insight that I'm pretty sure is speaking into my growing concern!

I'm pretty sure Landon (my 19 year old brother) has ALWAYS had more GIRL friends than GUY friends. Looking back at his past 4 years in high school, I'm actually glad this was true. He was never part of any of the druggie groups his guy friends were in, and was never really a bully like a lot of them were. Since he had more GIRL friends, he always did a good job at maintaining a cool, pretty calm and respectful composure. And I always did a good job at telling him to "MAKE GOOD CHOICES" before he went anywhere! I'm convinced, he's a good guy!

But...no matter how GOOD he is, as long as he's dating someone's daughter, he's inevitably going to be the firing target of a protective dad. I'm pretty sure almost any dad would initially like to ring the neck of his daughters love interests. And to an extent, that's understandable!

What this all means is...I'm not sure how good I feel about my sons being the source of some paranoid dad's anger some day !! That's just not fair! To them OR me!! Even if I raise the most respectful, purest boys in the world, they're still going to be glared upon someday. And...on the flip side of that, I'm going to be the one responsible for their actions if they do screw up. I know for a fact that the daughters of these protective dads aren't always innocent. In fact, SHE was probably the one who ASKED my son to make out in the first place, Mr. WHOEVER YOU ARE!

(sigh)... Anyway. Maybe I shouldn't get all worked up about this whole deal yet. I could probably wait AT LEAST until they stop peeing in their Handy Manny underwear!

1 comment:

bub said...

OMG you are so funny I'm really glad that I found your blog. I have 4 daughters, I try not to hate on their suitors too much lol. I must be scary enough as it is!