Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mazel Tov!

About a week ago, I was offered a job as a hostess for the event center that our church has been meeting in. Since I'm all about getting out and meeting new people, I agreed to try it out. The girl who trained me (showed me where the lights were) made sure I knew that the job was REALLY simple, and that I was basically just an extra body to tell people where the bathrooms are. She told me to bring my laptop and a book...so I did. I had some time to myself at the beginning of the night before anyone got there, but when people arrived, things started rolling!

I've never been to a Bar Mitzvah before, so I was really more interested in the party than I was in my internet (I know...you're shocked!) So I helped out where I could and talked to lots of really nice Mafia sorts of individuals, who treated me like family, and told me all about the big celebration!! BIG is and understatement. This was like Super Sweet Sixteen CRAZY!!

I knew it would be a great night when the caterer set up the sushi bar right on top of the desk I was working from!! Sushi was just an appetizer! The thing that was cool about the whole party was that it was sort of separated, so the kids partied on one end of the room and the adults on the other. Kids and adults each had different meals and desserts...which all were delicious!

As much as I knew this wasn't a party I was particularly invited to, I couldn't help but to join in on my "Crank That" song.




I watched the family do the Hora which was really cool!! After that, the kids all went home and the adults just drank themselves crazy! I got offered a ton of liquor to take home, but since it was my first night, and since I'm not a big drinker, I declined! But then, on their way out my new friends gave me a case of beer and a bottle of wine. So...it will probably just sit in the fridge until my parents come next week!

It ended up being A LOT of work, and my feet hurt like crazy. I didn't realize until I got home that I was there for 9 hours. It's 2AM now and we have to be back to church by 9:00AM in the morning. But the experience of my first Bar Mitzvah was well worth it! I hope I can do another one again soon!

No comments: