Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Ode to Sawgrass Street...

When I was 4 years old, My mom, dad, sister, and I moved from Lemon Grove to a wonderful house on a cul-de-sac in Rancho San Diego. 2678 Sawgrass Street to be exact. We lived at Sawgrass from 1985 until 1994(Somewhere in there my brother was born). Needless to say, we made great friends on that street.
Days were safer then. After I would get ready for elementary school in the morning, I'd meet just about all the neighborhood friends in the cul-de-sac for a quick game of four square or spot ball. We'd all rush off to school and then meet each other back in the cul-de-sac when we got home. By 5PM, the Sawgrass moms and dads would be coming home from work, and my dad would often have our garage door open with the margarita machine running and loud music playing. Naturally the neighborhood eventually gravitated to the smell of lime and triple sec in the evenings and everyone would just hang out and chat until after dark.

Almost EVERY weekend we'd play street hockey, sell lemonade and sometimes snails to anyone who was interested! We did trips to Yosemite and to the desert often, and just loved each other like crazy.


As us kids grew older, it seemed like everyone kind of got busy and each family, one by one started leaving Sawgrass. We always tried our best to keep in touch, but life's complexity made it hard.

We moved to Crest for my middle school and high school years, and then after I was married, my parents decided to move to a neighborhood in Vista Grande. It just so happened that 3 other families from Sawgrass Street ended up moving to the same development in Vista Grande.

My parents have reconnected with some of our Sawgrass neighbors and we all decided it would be awesome to call everyone and have kind of a reunion. Everyone still lives close except for Leo and Calice who live back east. They agreed to come out to see everyone this summer. We're trying to talk them into moving back to SD. We'll see.

Jan and Marty had us all over to their beautiful home and we had an AWESOME time reconnecting. It's been almost 13 years since some of us have seen each other so we all had a lot of catching up to do. It was sooo fun introducing my babies to everyone. Cameron was sweet as ever. Riley was a PILL the whole time. I was pretty irritated with him.

(side story- When Riley woke up the morning after the party, we had to rush him to the doctor because he had green goop dripping from his ears. Come to find out, his eardrum busted because of a bad ear infection. I was so frustrated that Riley was so fussy at the party... When I was going through the pictures today, I realized that he's tugging on his ear in EVERY picture that I took of him. OOPS.)


Anyway... I definitely miss Sawgrass and the community of our cul-de-sac. But I do know that if I ever do move into a house of my own, I'm going to pray for a street like Sawgrass.























Lot's of memories in pictures!

Sorry Riley James.


4 comments:

TK said...

I love this post. I grew up on a cul-de-sac too. One of the girls that lived on that street is one of my best friends to this day. We used to shut down the street for baseball games, have swim parties, talent shows, and the parents would hang out in the street in the evening and watch us play. Our neighbor next door used to always get out a stop watch and time us as we ran and raced eachother. Those were the days. Great memories. I would love to give that to my kids someday too.

Sarah said...

You have such fun with that little Riley!! :) It is hard to know what they need, when they can't tell you! :)

Glad you were able to reconnect with old friends.

Kara said...

Why can't it be like that these days? Now we are searching for which child molesters live close.

Becky said...

That's awesome Lauren. I grew up in the hood so there will be no reunions for us. On a side note: How amazing is it that everyone is attractive? I miss you. Sorry my txt-ing isn't working