Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Just Slow Pitch

Before we moved from San Diego (3 Months ago), I made a list of a few personal goals that I wanted to put into play as soon as our family settled in Raleigh. One of those was to join a co-ed softball league. I miss the sport so much, and I kind of get depressed about the fact there are no fast pitch leagues for us old people (more depressed because I'm OLD). But, I wanted to join a league anyway. My buddy, Craig, the list, came through for me about a month ago after I responded to an ad of a team looking for a catcher. I've never played catcher on a slowpitch team, but I figured I'd be good at it, and it would be a good way to at least get my foot in the door.

Softball on the East Coast is totally different from softball on the west coast. I found out from one of my teammates that fast pitch wasn't around here, at least in Raleigh, until only a few years ago. So most players, at some point had to make a transition from slow pitch to fast pitch...which pretty much changes the complete dynamics of the game. Since CA only ever knew fast pitch, the switch to slow pitch was tricky for me. Once I got the timing down and adapted to a few different rules, I felt I could hold my own.

My sufficient portion of confidence was stretched when I learned I would actually have to "try out" for the slow pitch team I wanted to play on here. Thankfully I made the team, paid my dues, got my uniform and could officially call myself part of a softball team again.

We had our first pre-season game last week, and since we were missing an infielder, I played second base. Since I'm the only left handed hitter on the team, they thought it would be a good idea for me to lead off, putting me as the first hitter in the lineup. I knew I had every opportunity to succeed at this point. When the game started and I had not seen a pitch thrown yet (being first batter), I started getting nervous. I thought about the fact that I didn't get a chance to time the pitch before the game...I thought about what a jerk Steve was to stay home with the boys instead of coming to support me (kidding babe!). And...well... my nerves got the best of me last week and I couldn't do anything but pop the ball up to center field...Not a very good habit for a lead off hitter! Ugh...I was so bummed out. I went home so angry that I didn't do as well as I knew I could."Maybe I'm just too old" went through my head for the entire drive home! And Steve probably wishes that I just would have stayed out that night, because I was such a grump when I got home (blaming everything on him, of course). I wasn't sure why I was so hard on myself until I thought about it for a couple of days.

The reason I initially wanted to join a team is because I wanted to meet people and build relationships. I knew that if I played well, I'd have a better chance at getting to know people faster than I would if I sucked! I was sure I failed my first attempt at a first impression!!

Thankfully when I got home, the person in charge of the team emailed me, and wanted to know if I would consider playing second base for the majority of the season, instead of catcher. I was so relieved to 1. Not be kicked off the team!!! 2. Be able to play a position I prefer!

Our second game is today. Hopefully I'll get past my nervousness of the new environment and hit the ball like crazy today. Oh, and Steve's coming today, so that should help! He does a good job at calming me down and reminding me I'm not playing in the Olympics...it's just slow pitch!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! You were up early! Welcome to the OLD club haha and keep up the good work! we ALL know you can do it and are proud of you for "getting out there"! Have fun and "knock one outta the park"!
Luv ya!