Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who Wants Coffee?!

There used to be a day when no one cared about the "taste" of coffee. Whoever drank it, only did it for the caffeine boost... which explains the creation of terrible tasting, instant coffees, and even canned Folgers. Mom and pop coffee shops existed then, but struggled to survive being that their only clients were friends and family, supporting their small business endeavor.

Then came Starbucks. It seemed like "from out of nowhere"... Starbucks came and literally BECAME the Coffee Industry as we know it today. You weren't cool if you drank anything BUT Starbucks. Yes, it was pricy, but that didn't matter, because it just tasted sooo good...and there was just nothing else comparable, not to mention the "trendiness" factor.

Speaking as an Ex-Starbucks Barista (and a HUGE Howard Schultz fan), I can't knock the company that gave me and so many others a great job, and even bragging rights as an employee! But what I can say, or at least agree with is a quote from an article I read this morning...

"Starbucks has become too successful for its own good, and has been swamped by competition offering the same blends, atmosphere, and more, for a lot less. There is no differential advantage in ambience to speak of, no smug connoisseur mentality for its patrons as a bragging right, and no elevation from the ordinary working class coffee drinker in price. Its lead has been dissipated and its attraction diminished by its own ordinariness as a neighborhood soda fountain serving coffee in various forms. It is in hot water. It may soon be renamed Starbust."

I don't know about the whole 'StarBUST' thing, but I know for sure that Starbucks isn't so much 'the trend' any more. In fact, I believe Starbucks CREATED coffee connoisseurs to its own demise. I know the differences between different coffee roasts, and even how each drink is made. I also know that the newer coffee shops put more effort into each Latte, and that's what I care about! Don't steam my milk twice Starbucks. I know it's still usable at a certain temp, but I want fresh milk please!

While Starbucks is slumping and spending time trying to get back on track, improving quality and service, newer, more hip Coffee joints are offering incredible deals and great tasting coffee in attempts to conquer their Goliath while he's down and vulnerable.

How fascinating!

In the meantime. I'm enjoying my local Caribou where I get 10 cents off my coffee everyday when I answer a daily trivia question correctly (or even incorrectly), of course they've integrated free WIFI, and even books for my sons to look at when I have to bring them with me! They always offer free refills when we're there for our marathon meetings, and they just seem happy when we're there (southern hospitality might have something to to with that). And...when I don't want to leave my house for a cup of coffee, my FAVORITE dark roast is Duncan Donuts Orignial Blend that they sell at my local grocery store!


Who would have thought that Duncan Donuts would get on the bandwagon?! Who's next? Taco Bell?!!

Anyway...There's a Starbucks a block away from my house, and I'm looking forward to walking in there someday...when I have a reason to.

Knowing what I do about Howard Schultz, He has some tricks up his sleeves. I can't wait to find out what they are!

No comments: