Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I’m sure you’d assume the lack of posts and delay of updates is due to the MASS chaos that comes with moving our family of four clear across country this week. Although we are busy, and still settling in, our week has been one of not so much chaos, but more…lack of internet access. We’ll get our cable and Wifi up next week. So until then, I’ll be typing my posts in word docs at 3:30AM when I have time away from my boys, and then I’ll post them whenever I can get to a hot spot (Breugger’s) to throw it up live.

The Flight:
Awesome. The boys were SOOO good. Riley got stir crazy for about 10 minutes of the first leg of our flight, but other than that, it was a GREAT experience. I was most worried about getting through security. I seriously HATE going through airport security. I always feel like some sort of terrorist as I unload my carryon on to the conveyer belt. Almost every time I’ve flown out of San Diego I’ve been searched or questioned at the security checkpoint. I have NO idea why. I hardly ever bring ANYTHING on the plane. I really believe it’s because they sense my anxiety or something. Anyway…this time I was way more nervous than ever because not only did I have my two boys to worry about, but because I had to carry on all of their medications from their recent bouts with pneumonia. I had to carry icepacks to keep the amoxicillin cold, breathing tube things for their inhalers, benadryl and Riley’s eardrops. I was very thankful when I passed through the metal detector without any alarms going off. I gathered my boys and my belongings and started heading to the gate. I was completely amazed that NO ONE stopped me or my backpack. I even turned around and looked at one of the “officials” to make sure I was ok to proceed…and I was! Sweet! Cameron was really excited about the plane. I thought he’d be nervous, he wasn’t. AT ALL. He acted like he knew about exactly everything that would happen. If you ask him, he’ll tell you that his FAVORITE part of the flight was “snack time”! What a surprise…I know. My mom’s luggage wasn’t at baggage claim, but thankfully it came on a later flight and was delivered to our apartment at 3:30AM the next morning.

Arriving in Raleigh:
When I packed my bag last week, I was kind of stressing that I didn’t have warmer clothes. I had plenty for the kids. I even carried on their big jackets just in case it was unbearably cold on the short walk from baggage claim to the car. I guess I should have been paying more attention to the weather before we came. I should have brought flip flops instead of ski boots. It hasn’t been colder than 70 degrees since we got here on Monday. It’s totally sunny and warm. We’re told that the climate changes fast, so all that to say, there’s colder weather to come, but for now I’m thankful that God is gently weaning me from my San Diego sun. Steve picked us up from the airport at about 6:00PM and we drove straight to our new apartment. We LOVE it. It doesn’t feel like an apartment at all. It looks and feels more like some kind of resort. We’re walking distance from a HUGE, beautiful new strip mall that reminds me of the new mall in Otay Ranch by Kara’s house. Steve did a GREAT job finding us a place to live. We originally talked about wanting a house, but for now, this is perfect and the location is STELLAR! Cameron and Riley LOVE their new house. Cameron keeps telling us how much he loves it. We’ll see how much he loves it after Grandma leaves on Thursday. He’s in heaven right now, having his all week sleepover with my mom! There was a glitch in paperwork with our “pod” storage unit thing. It was supposed to meet Steve here on Saturday, but we found out the day before we left that we wouldn’t see our belongings until the 17th of this month. This leaves us each with about 2 sets of clothes, one pair of shoes and a toothbrush. Everything else, including furniture and the boys clothes, will not get here for another week and a half. Right away, our small group here, who we haven’t even met, got together and managed to scramble up a bed for us, a bed for the kids, a dining room table, bedding, and a TV that we’ll be able to use until we get our own stuff. What better way to dive into community than to borrow other people’s furniture?! My mom and the boys were able to meet the Towns family the night we arrived. They greeted us at our front door with a basket of cool things and loved on the kids. I think it’s easy to get along with anyone in Raleigh, but the Towns are EXTRA amazing people. I haven’t known them for very long, but already I can tell you that Lee, Carla, Ashlee and Carlee are 4 of the most selfless people that I’ll ever meet. They are a true blessing to anyone they come into contact with, and I am so excited to do church and life with them!

How’s Riley?:
Great! He recovered from last week’s surgery well. So well that I forgot about the tubes in his ears and let him take a bath where he submerged himself in water about three different times. When we went to the doctor for his pneumonia, she checked his ears and said they look GREAT! Thank GOD! Although Riley was diagnosed with a permanent hearing loss in his left ear, he has really done a 180 since getting his tubes. I know he can hear better than he ever has. He’s progressed like crazy in his speech and mannerisms, just in the past 5 days. It’s pretty incredible to witness. He’s singing songs, copying sounds of the things we say and making goofy faces to make us laugh. All normal habits for his age but something he definitely WASN’T doing 2 weeks ago. He’s just extra happy! Both boys still have a little junk in their chests, but for the most part, the wheezing and coughing is over.

Our New Life:
It’s too early to judge whether or not our new life is going to be better or easier. I’m definitely going to miss family and friends and help with the boys. One thing I do know though, is that I definitely have more peace and focus today than I’ve had in a LONG time. Something about the risk, the challenge, and faith has me, us, in a good spot. I’d like to think that we’ve completely relied on God since we’ve been married. But I think it’s going to take these new surroundings and a new community of people for God to REALLY refresh us and focus our lives on what He wants us to accomplish through us for His glory and to further His kingdom.

Keep Praying:
1. For the boys continued health
2. For my parents and family – They’re going to miss the boys.
3. For my boys who will really REALLY miss my parents and family.
4. That our “pod” would arrive early.
5. That we could really be diligent with our finances as we get settled.
6. That God would be stirring hearts of the people in our community.
7. That God’s hand would continue to be all over Church at the Triangle.

Blessings all!

5 comments:

Sheri K said...

Glad the welcomiong is going well and the folks are taking care of you!

Miss you and love you lots!!!

Sheri K

Lasting Impressions said...

Glad to hear all of you arrived safely. It's so awesome to hear about how the community rallied around to provide for you until the "pod" arrives! You will be missed.

hula4jesus said...

Lauren, Steve, Cameron and Riley! Thank the Lord you all arrived safely and what a testimony about your new family/community as they rustled up some necessities for you all!! I'm glad that the flight went well and that there were no issues with the cabin pressure and the boys' ears! Thank you Lord for answering prayers. We'll be praying for your POD to show up shortly and for all your prayer requests! Thanks for keeping us posted! We look forward to following your progress.

We are watching this show called "Treasure Hunt" and they were featuring this town in North Carolina called, Hiddenite. So of course, we were thinking of you all!

Continue to pray for your transition and adjusting to life in NC and for God to knit your hearts together with your new family members!

We love you all and miss you already!
Fran and family

Heather Hammond said...

I've been anxiously awaiting your first post from NC - so glad you are there and that you are already being surrounded by a great community! We miss you already - keep the posts coming!

Jane said...

Lauren,
thankyou for writing in your blog so that we know how everything is going for you and Steve and the boys. Your place sounds great and what a plus to have a nice strip mall within walking distance. I am grateful already to read what God has done for all of you and the Towns sound like great people and the community already has really come together for you which is such a praise!! I pray that in the weeks to come that God surrounds all of you with lots of people since it will help out a lot when you feel lonely for your family and friends. I still don't have a date yet as to when we'll be in North Carolina and I pray that it works out that we won't be to far from your city, it almost for sure will be in April when we go see Michael and then we'll head out to N.C. for 3 days. Take care,
Love, Jane