Wednesday, January 2, 2008

DESTINATION: Raleigh, NC - On Our Way!

Our family is officially in route to Raleigh today. Steve left at 6:15 AM to go pick up Jerry, one of his best friends, who will drive four days and 2,546 miles with Steve. They're planning on driving 15 hours per day and stopping at night to sleep for about 10 hours before heading out for another 15. They'll make their first stop in Texas today. Probably El Paso. Please pray for their road trip and safety. They're both smart enough to find somewhere to rest if they get too tired to drive, so what I'm most worried about is other crazy drivers! Here's a good perspective of the route Steve's driving.


The boys and I are staying with my mom for the next few days until we fly out together on Monday. Riley will probably stay with Steve's mom until this Friday. Saying goodbye to Steve was very hard for her yesterday. All of Steve's 7 brothers and sisters along with their families all met at Steve's sisters house to say goodbye. His mom prayed for us in Samoan while everyone cried. She also said a bunch of other things that I didn't understand. I couldn't help but to break down when I heard her say Riley and Cameron's names. I knew she was praying for their safety. Later Steve translated what she shared with the group. It was mostly a blessing spoken over us. She also addressed Steve sternly in front of the group telling him to keep close to God and be the best husband and dad that God created him to be. Steve then went around and said goodbye to each of his family members. It was a little too much for me to handle emotionally! I couldn't even watch him say goodbye.

Cameron and Riley are doing well considering the big transition so far. Cameron is acting out a little bit in subtle ways this week. I'm doing what I can to love him and show him grace in the situations that get a little out of hand. I know he is sensing HUGE change right now. I really believe it's way harder for him because his brain can't completely comprehend what's going on. He's asking lots of questions and I try to answer them in ways he understands. Last night while we were crying on the way home from Steve's sisters, Cameron asked us why we were crying. It's hard to explain to a 3 year old the reason behind leaving everyone we know to go somewhere FAR FAR away. So instead of asking more questions, Cameron just said "mom, when we get out of the car I'm going to give you a really big hug." I said "ok, thanks Cameron." He then said "Mommy, I will give you my heart and daddy I will give you my heart, because my heart is happy and yours is sad. " He then said a few other things that really lightened up the rest of the car ride home.

Our pods are being picked up today. They'll be dropped off in Raleigh the day before Steve gets there.

In less than a week we'll be residents of Raleigh, North Carolina!

2 comments:

hula4jesus said...

Oh Lauren - it's so bittersweet to bid farewell to your loved ones . . . especially since Steve is the baby of the family. It's such a testimony to your children at how close your family is and that their grandma prayed a special blessing over all of you. I know it was done in Samoan, but I'm sure you understood her words through her spirit.

We have been praying for Steve's traveling mercies already and we'll be lifting up you and the boys . . . especially for Cameron who doesn't quite understand. Along with this big change in your lives, I know that the Lord has HUGE plans for you all and your ministry! We're so excited to hear all the awesome things that the Lord is going to do IN and THROUGH you all!! Keep us posted!!

We love you and miss you already!
The Lacangan Clan

Anonymous said...

Lauren Holmes!!! It's Jennifer Young and I've been trying to get ahold of you!! I need your parent's address...I'm so glad the move has gone well...the boys look adorable and happy!! I sent you an e-mail. My address is jenyoung7@hotmail.com

Talk to you later!!
Jennifer